Monday, January 2, 2017

brave

Christmas morning after all the gifts had been unwrapped Chris was tickling our contagiously joyful 4 year old when he noticed a bump above his tooth.  After some research and the advice of our dentist friends we decided to take him to a pediatric dentist to get him checked out.  I told Ethan that the dentist was going to look at his mouth and that they may have to pull his tooth out.  He felt his tooth with his tongue, looked with both eyes to the ceiling, shrugged his shoulders then ran to play.

I was nervous for him.

Anxious as I peered in the office of the pediatric dentist - a room full of chairs, with no TVs and other kids, some crying.  I was expecting this to be a battle.

In the middle of an new episode of Ready Jet Go on the bench in the waiting room my little boy was treating this like any other day... the dental hygienist called out "Ethan" and he jumped up ran to greet her climbed up on the chair and eagerly opened his mouth with no sign of hesitation or angst.

All of the other hygienists turned their heads in disbelief at this little bundle of crazy blonde hair so willingly eager to have his mouth checked out.  When they looked at me with raised eyebrows as if to say, "please tell us what you told him so we can tell all parents to give the same words to their waiting 4 year olds" I shrugged my shoulders and said, "meet Ethan...he's a very mature four year old,  who is brave, not afraid to meet new people, happy to be anywhere and eager to have a story to tell his brothers, he leaves a positive impression on everyone he meets...guess its no different even at the dentist"

X-rays confirmed an abscess above his tooth, short roots to his two front teeth caused by multiple traumas to the teeth...yes, when you're the youngest of three boys you do a lot of wrestling, tackling, and running multiple times resulting in bloody teeth and lips.  We scheduled an appointment to have his tooth extracted the following afternoon.  When I told Ethan he was going to have to lose a tooth his face lit up and he practically hugged himself and said, "Oh I can't wait to tell the brothers, I'm going to lose my first tooth!!"

The hygienist heard him say that and said, "Oh my goodness he is the cutest thing ever, what a positive outlook on all of this"  I took in a deep breath and sighed a proud mom moment - thats my Ethan.

But the truth is that was ALL Ethan, had nothing to do with me.  He had received the news that he was probably going to have his tooth pulled, he briefly paused, then went about his routine.

Oh how I wish every situation I face could be treated with the same minimal pause that Ethan gave.

I would worry less if I didn't spend a lot of time thinking of all that could go wrong, only expect the best- In Ethan's case- Now I'll be like my big brothers.

This model of keeping the end in mind is what Ethan focused on as he went back the next day.

The whole procedure took around an hour and his demeanor never changed. He was happy and chatty excited to be in the company of new friends.  AND also excited to have a visit from the tooth fairy.

As a mom I was worried.  I never told him he should be brave because I was afraid I would instill a reason to be fearful.  But after the fact I was wishing I would have taken some time to explain bravery.

The definition of brave is having courage; valor.  Synonyms include fearlessness, daring, boldness, prowess, nerve, audacity and spunk...so many of these words could have already been used to describe Ethan.  

After this tooth extraction I realize just how brave he is and going forward want to remind him that God has given him these tools he needs to be a great little human being.  His brave heart  and personality that is full of spunk, boldness, valor and courage is founded in the heart of God.  I, as his mother, may even fail to remember at times that God has given my children all they need to handle any situation that comes their way.

Over Christmas break Ethan lost a tooth but gained even more confidence to be himself.  I am resting,  with glimpses of a future for Ethan that is full of brave moments and even more opportunities for him to leave a positive joyful impression on those he comes in contact with regardless of the situation.

The dental hygienist said she's never met a four year old like Ethan.  And his first visit from the tooth fairy left him five dollars richer.

(as soon as he found the $5 he handed it straight to Chris asking him to put it in the bank)




No comments: