Thursday, August 6, 2009

ROAAARRRRR!!

Dad celebrated his 62nd birthday at our house. I knew all the grand kids were in town and I love birthday parties so Friday Mom asked if we could have dad's birthday party over at our house and I got started planning. Any one who has ever been to their house can testify that Bill Mauch Loves lions! And just a few weeks ago they had a party at their house and I caught him asking some of his friends if they wanted to play "Elbow Tag" Soo I thought, "Hmmm....maybe we should play some games for dads party, but I'll need a theme"...no better theme than a "Lion Birthday Party". We all drew lion faces on ourselves, gave a big RROOOOAAAAARRRR and started playing some "Lion Games" We started the games out with "Lion Freeze" to the Lion King soundtrack, then moved onto "Lion Musical Squares". Next, was our version of duck duck goose AKA "Lion, Lion, Mouse" then we played "King of the Jungle" and finished the games with Pin the Tale on the Lion. I had fun playing the games but I think Owen enjoyed them the most...at one point I heard him say, "This is awesome!!"

Mason is taking his turn at Pin the Tale on the Lion...he didn't want to keep the blind fold on.

We threw some meat on the grill had some yummy roasted potatoes, salad, fruit and rolls.
Here's my favorite part...I love to create cute cup cakes and these are my favorite ones I've made so far! Mason picked out the chocolate cake, I dyed frosting two shades orange and brown, used cinnamon honey popcorn for the mane, chocolate chips for the eyes, pretzel sticks for the whiskers and pink marshmallow for the nose...they turned out super cute and yummy too!
"Happy Birthday Dear PAAApaaa, Happy Birthday to You!!"

I really have never seen another kid who loves sweets more than Mason...he gets soo excited about dessert!!
YUMMMY!

Okay, just had to get a close up picture!
After dinner and cupcakes there was ONE LAST Lion event...A Lion Hunt...I gave Papa and the kids a paw print and on the back was a clue to where they could find the next clue and so on and so on...This is kind of a fun tradition we have in my family at birthdays or sometimes at Christmas for a big gift...we have a scavenger hunt...however, I know Andrew would have laughed at my clues...I know I sing preschool songs for a living but me coming up with clues that Rhyme and are understandable lack a little in the area of creativity...good thing they are young enough to not really care.
The first clue on their Lion Hunt lead them to the garage ...Mason said..."yook, A clue a clue...like Blues Clues"
Then they all had to ROOOAAAARRR and went upstairs, then out to the van then back up stairs then to the coffee pot then finally...
Finally after following all of their clues they came to the Lion Treasure...Papa's Gifts.
WATER BALLOON TOSS...yes, this was a request of Papas that we could have water balloons at his birthday party.
Watch out the balloon toss turned into a BALLOON FIGHT!!

Since everyone was already wet we decided to get out the Elmo Splash Mat and play some in the water! Alyssa and Owen Take their turn down the slide onto the Elmo Splash Mat
Mason actually, for the first time, allowed the water to spray really high...he usually just barely wants to see it come out of the holes...guess his cousins liking the water "big" made him want it that way too!
Everyone just watching the kids slide over and over and over...we moved the slide and mat like 4 times to keep the yard from becoming a mud hole. I was really surprised to see how many times they were going down that slide...and I would have thought Alyssa would have been over it first...but she actually loved it the most!


Mason and Olivia took turns "driving" the fire truck ...over all the afternoon/evening was wonderful! I hope Mason remembers this day...I'm sure he wont, I've defiantly come to see that there are TONS of things that parents do for their children that their children NEVER remember! But that's okay, I'm not going to stop trying to create fun memories for my family! I'm sure there were lots of days like today in my childhood that I cant remember so I was glad to pay back my parents in a way by hopefuly creating a fun experience for everyone... And I also discovered that I think if I'm going to continue having Masons birthday parties at my house then I need to cut down the list of invites...how can he already have so many friends???














h

No comments: