Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Masons Speech

Speech Habit
February 4, 2015

I had been advised by Masons pediatrician to refer him to the school speech teacher  to get some tips on how to correct his minor speech delay.  He has a minor frontal lisp.  He struggles with making the “s” and “z” sounds.  He CAN totally form his mouth and teeth the proper way so that he speaks correctly he just, for whatever reason, early on, developed a delay.  Doc Smollen says that speech problems like these are no different than fine motor skill delays.  We just need to help him fix it.

The speech therapist, Karen Wright, called me and was bragging about how adorable Mason is and was commenting on how well his hair was brushed.  My response was this is exactly why I want to help him with speech.  Mason cares about his appearance, how he looks, what he wears, what people think of him…one day I fear he will be bothered by this “minor” speech delay. 

Mason is going to have to “put on his big boy pants”  He’s going to have to take ownership of this and work and practice on his own.  Trying to see the larger picture.  Sure, he can speak fine. We all understand what he is saying.  Most people don’t even notice his speech.  Its Minor.  Maybe some would say don’t worry about it, its no big deal. 

Then of course I start looking at myself.

So it is with complacency about anything in life. 

Complacency- a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self- satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, or condition

Sin entered the world and caused the fall of man.  Sin starts small but grows.  I’m not saying Masons speech problem is a sin, but that it’s a result of the fall.  God can and will help Mason correct this.  And it’s a reminder to me to not become complacent in my walk with Him.

Deut 8:1 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God who bought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Jeremiah 10:21  For the shepherds have become stupid and have not sought the LORD; Therefore they have not prospered, and all their flock is scattered.

Hebrews 6:12  So that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Matthew 22:5 but they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business.
Luke 14:18 Parable of the Master inviting guests…but they all alike began to make excuses. The first one said to him, I have bought a piece of land I need to go out and look at it; please consider me excused. 


Lord, I confess that I rely on me. On my self.  I am proud. I am haughty. I feel like I’ve got things under control.

I am nothing.  There is no way I could ever repay my debt of sin.

I can not survive and produce fruit apart from you.  Please use this moment to awaken me to the truth that you are there. You have always been.  Its me who walks away, me who makes excuses, me who overlooks, me who downplays the sin saying its really not that big of a deal.  Just like Mason will have to decide to take ownership and work to correct his bad habit, please help me Lord to be aware of bad habits that may form in my life.  Remove from me the ability of becoming complacent.  May I never simply go with the motions but may I be fully present with you in every situation ready to give an answer, ready to seek you in prayer.  Alert to what may be something small in others eyes but understanding that isn’t the life you have called me to.  I trust you. Help me to really remember I need you.



No comments: