Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hot Hot Lava!

Poppy and Mammaw gave Mason a Childrens Encyclopedia for Christmas this year and it has a whole section beginning on page 61 about "Our Violent Earth" Thats where Mason first really learned about the "hot hot lava" Our neighbors down the street have a 2 year old little boy who came over to play one day and Mason was telling him all about volcanoes ....well...Corbin brought a volcano he made at preschool home with him and he invited Mason to come over to watch the eruption! How cute that kids remember things and think of others (or maybe his mom reminded him, either way, a very cute invite for Mason) Ever since then Mason has been wanting to make a volcano of our own. But he asked if we could make it bigger than Corbin's volcano, which consisted of one little plastic cup with some foil around it. So I asked him what we could do to make it bigger and he said let me get my chalkboard and draw it for you (its the little board right there on the table) He began, very seriously, drawing and mumbling to himself while scribbling harder and harder and then he said, " how bout we use 3 cups" so I said okay and our volcano was underway!
Of course he knew I'd have the camera out but he made me laugh out loud with this particular picture...he wanted to pose for it he said, "Okay mommy you take my picture when I'm ready" So I waited, expecting a big cheese smile, you know the kind where Mason is smiling so big that his eyes are shut tight,...I waited and waited and he was frozen in this pose then I realised that he wasn't painting the volcano, that he was pretending to paint to capture the moment! Once I snapped the shot he said, "Okay mommy, let me see that one"...LOL
Micah was there all along too...just watching on the table in his bumbo...Mason really wanted to touch him with his painted fingers and I did consider stripping Micah down to his diaper and allowing him to finger paint too to help with this family project but it was too close to his nap time...sorry Micah.
Here we are in the bathroom the volcano erupted in the bathtub (which, was a nice way to clean the tub ...baking soda and vinegar) The eruption wasn't too grand we didn't really have to evacuate but later in the evening while Mason and I were hiding our eyes while daddy hid for hide and seek Mason leaned over to me and whispered, "Hey mommy, I really had fun doing the volcano"...aww...sigh...he has my heart erupting!

No comments: